Sunday, December 9, 2012

10 tips to slim down and stay healthy during the winter months

Hi folks! It's getting cold outside! Denver is finally getting some cold weather this weekend! It has been abnormally warm this year (which I'm totally okay with) but winter seems to have finally arrived. With colder months, I know it's harder to hit the pavement or get to the gym, especially when it's freaking dark by 4:30pm! So I wanted to share some of the things I do to keep slim and healthy during winter. Most of these can be done year-round!



10: Sip lemon-peel tea. I do this almost daily! It's great way to sip something warm without worrying about extra calories. Simply grab half a lemon, squeeze the lemon juice in a mug, add the lemon (peel and all!), and about 8 oz of hot water. Steep for a couple of minutes, then sip away! I usually add another 8 oz after I have finished the first one. It is very lemony! But this is a great way to rid the body of extra water bloat. You can add mint for additional flavor.

9: Do small workouts. It is especially hard for me to wake up early and run outside in the dark, and even harder to get a workout in after a long day of work. So I try and do 2 or 3 small workouts a day. Look on Pinterest for short workouts, or try this:
40 Jumping Jacks
10 push-ups
50 crunches
10 burpees
30 second side-plank (each side)
20 mountain climbers
45 second wall sit
It's quick, easy to remember, and you don't have to leave the living room! Try doing this before your morning shower or while watching TV at night.

8: Prepare meals on Sunday. This is crucial for me to do before the beginning of each week. I work 10 hour days so when it's time to make dinner, I am normally not in the mood to slave away over the stove for an hour. By having things ready to go, I can skip the drive-thru or going out for dinner, and make much better (and cheaper) decisions. I try and do the grocery shopping on Saturdays or Sunday morning and plan ahead for the week. Try preparing 2 or 3 dishes to start with so you'll have healthy options at home. 

7: Brown Bag it! Bring your lunch to work!! My mind gets boggled when I see co-workers eat out for lunch everyday. First of all, how in the world can you afford that? Second, you don't always know what goes into your meal when you eat out. Eating out means eating tons more sodium and fat than you would eat at home. Sodium= water retention. Nothing worse than feeling bloated with an empty wallet, right? I'll be sharing some of my favorite lunches with you guys soon!

6: Start the day with protein ! As a vegan, it can be hard to remember how important protein is to staying slim when you normally think of protein mooing or clucking. But starting the day with a protein helps kickstart your metabolism for the day and keeps you feeling full longer. Try peanut butter on whole-wheat toast, soy meats (check the sodium levels on the package first), almond or soy milk in your smoothie, or a tofu breakfast scramble. Protein is also super important if you are working out often!

5: Weigh yourself often. Some people may disagree with this one, but I think it's healthy to know what you weigh. I try and weigh myself twice a week. Weigh in early in the morning and write it down. I feel that this helps keep me accountable and on track, especially when I am not as active during the winter. Try not to dwell on the number all day, but use it as a tool to keep yourself on track. 

4: Partner up! Grab a friend, a co-worker, or your significant other for a buddy workout. Having a workout partner not only keeps you motivated, but accountable as well. It's a heck of a lot easier to make excuses when you don't have anyone else to answer to. You can also use this person for support, ideas, and motivation when you really need it. 

3: Forgive yourself. We all mess up. We all eat a little too much pasta, or have an extra holiday treat. IT IS OK. Just try to be better tomorrow than you were today. And never, ever skip a meal because you binged earlier. Your body needs to know it is getting food often so it won't start storing calories!  So just move on. We're aiming for progress, not perfection.

2: Get the right gear. If you are working out outside, make sure you're dressed for the cold and the wind. Wear layers, get fleece-lined tights, and a good set of running gloves. I like my Nike fleece pullover that has a little pocket perfect for a key and my chapstick. Make sure your running shoes have good tread if you're running in the snow or where it may be icy. And don't forget a hat. I know it's one of the first things you want to pull off when you start warming up, but keep it on! A lot of heat escapes from your head! Don't forget the sunscreen or SPF chapstick!


1: Drink LOTS of water. At least 80 oz. Minimum. Daily. Period. End of story!! Staying hydrated is crucial. I want to slap people that say they don't "like" water. WHAT DO YOU MEAN?? You NEED it. Flavor it with zero-calorie stuff if you need but, this should be your #1 rule. Buy a water bottle with the ounces marked on it so you know you are getting enough. So drink up!

So that's it! Not too hard, right? And remember, it takes time to form habits and make lifestyle changes so don't give up. Make goals, make a plan, and stick to it. It's much nicer to celebrate success, even small victories, than to wallow in guilt. So remember, progress, not perfection!

And stay warm out there!
-Jessalyn




Image from: http://www.lookgreat-loseweight-savemoney.com/images/lemonwater.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment